Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Nature Notebook

Can I just admit it?  I just have to get it off of my chest...I don't like doing nature study during winter...so I don't usually.  There, I told the truth.  That being said, it isn't winter anymore.  So, hello nature study!  Today in science Libby learned about stems, including woody stems (a.k.a. tree trunks). 

Chris has cleaned our woods out nicely, which means that there are a few stumps out there.  Between that and the nice weather we decided to get some nature study in.  I grabbed Libby's nature notebook and off we went.  On the way to the tree trunk we passed a tree that has some of the roots exposed.  How convenient!  We just studied roots last week.  So, Libby plopped down and observed some taproots. 

  
Then on to the tree stump.  We counted the rings together and the tree was 38 years old.  That means it is at least a year older than daddy.  ;)

 
Just a fun picture of the girls in the lovely green grass.

 
Last, but not least...proof that spring really is here.  How refreshing!!!

 


Posted by Picasa

No comments: