Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Carnton House


I have always loved the Civil War era. I guess I have just always been fascinated with the idea of brothers going to war. To be honest, eventhough there was a "winner" there wasn't a winner in this war. We lost so many young men on both sides, yet I don't know if some of our problems as a nation would have been solved any other way. Either way, this is a fascinating era to me. Now that my in-laws live in Nashville, I have had a few opportunities to visit Civil War plantations and this is one of them. This is the Carnton plantation, home of John and Carrie McGavock. They offered their house as a battlefield hospital for one of the bloodiest battles, The Battle of Franklin. I loved going through this house. It is always neat to see how they lived back then and to hear the stories. The only thing that frustrates me is they almost inevitably have the books in a room that you can't go. I just want to browse the spines of the books. Anyway, that is off subject. :) This house was particularly interesting to me because they actually had blood splatters all over the upstairs bedrooms. I know it sounds kind of gory, but it was just amazing to touch the blood spots and know you were connected with history. This was real mens blood in a real life and (all too often) death situation. That blood was NOT fiction from a book or a movie. Just amazing! I thank God for a husband like Chris that is willing to support my interests and go along with me without even thinking about whining.

*And no, I STILL don't look pregnant.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: