Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Toffee Dessert Cake

I love to bake! Unfortunately, you can tell by looking at my tummy. There are so many yummy concoctions out there to put together and taste, though. How can I resist?

Last weekend we had our dear friends, Katie and Braden, over and I had some buttermilk that needed to be used up so I went on the hunt for a good recipe that used buttermilk and had ingredients I had on hand. I hit the jackpot when I ran across Toffee Dessert Cake!

First I had to make the toffee. Easy to do.

Toffee

1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup chocolate chips (add more if you like it with more chocolate)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line cookie sheet with foil. In sauce pan combine sugar and butter. Bring to boil and boil for 3 minutes. Immediately pour over foil and spread to cover. Bake for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Let sit 3 to 5 minutes and spread chocolate over bottom layer.

*Note: You can also choose to line the pan with saltine crackers and follow this recipe, as well, for a dessert in and of itself. Yummy!

After the toffee was ready, I just needed to make the cake itself.

Cake

2 cups flour
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup butter (softened)
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
toffee (as much or little as you like)
whipped cream (opt.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix flour, brown sugar and butter in bowl. Reserve 1 cup. Add rest of ingredients to bowl and stir together. Pour wet mixture in a greased 9x12 pan. Top with reserved mixture. Top with toffee. Bake for 25 minutes. Serve with whipped cream.

Very yummy dessert! Our guests enjoyed it, and I even had enough buttermilk (and toffee) to make another cake for Chris to take to work yesterday. He said it was gone in less than 5 minutes. The best part? I got to bake and not pay the consequences personally! ;)

No comments: