Sunday, August 03, 2008

Thankful

Did you ever take your friends forgranted in high school? I know I did. I had been around most of them since middle school and a few ever since elementary. They were with me every week day and some Saturdays due to band or sports. They were always there, so if I was mad at them (usually for something stupid) it didn't matter because I could make up with them the next day. And then? Graduation happens...and they aren't there every day anymore. In fact, you are thrown in with a whole new sea of faces. You cling to some people from highschool, lose track of others and cherish most of your memories. Hopefully, you're senior officers remember to put together your reunions so you can catch up eventually.

Today, I had a chance to be a part of a reunion. Shawna's wedding. I am so blessed to have her as a friend. I made it through the weekend with only a few tears (amazingly!), but now that all of it is over, I am crying. I am so blessed for her friendship and the person she has become and the person she's always been. I am so honored that she chose ME to be in her wedding. I was glad to have the chance to get together with her, Brandie, April and Melissa again. I was glad to get to know Melissa better. I was glad to find out what an amazing woman Brandie is and get to know her wonderful choice of a husband. I was glad to catch up with all of the latest "going-ons" of April. I was blessed with a weekend where I could be my goofy self (the me that I am afraid to show people because I'm afraid they won't like who I am) and my friends, who have known me most of my life, just laughed because...well, they know me. I had the chance to meet this special man that Shawna's parents trust with the awesome responsibility of cherishing their daughter for the rest of his life. And you know? I think he just might be able to pull it off. :) I got to meet the groom's friends. I loved how well Shawna and Keith matched us up. Amazing! Everything about today was amazing! I wanted today to last longer than it did. I didn't want to say good bye to all of my friends. I wanted to have more of that slumber party feeling.

Yet, at the same time...the life I do have today (post highschool) was pulling at me too. I missed my little girls. I wanted to play a game with Libby and hold Grace in my arms again. I miss my husband and I'm ready to see him again. He is so beautiful! I can't wait to dive into a new year of MOPS and catch up with all of my friends who are on vacation and find out how much fun they had. And maybe, just maybe...I can stop hiding some of the goofy traits that make me "me" so that all of my new friends in Iowa can have a good laugh at my expense once in awhile and get to know who I really am. Maybe, I need to remember who I was in middle school, and stop caring whether people like me or not because, afterall, as I told one girl who eventually became my friend, "Everyone didn't like Jesus, so who cares if not everyone likes me." Maybe I will find out whether my friends are real or not. :) I think I will find that not only are my Iowa friends "real", but they will appreciate me being the real me. So...hang loose and have a little fun. I will miss my B-town friends for awhile and I will enjoy being a goof (even if I get a funny look or two) with my Iowa friends. :)

1 comment:

Alida Sharp said...

I love weddings and reunions... how fun that you got to experience both at the same time!!!