Thursday, September 25, 2008

You Eat What?!?

First, let me apologize for not being around lately. There has been a lot going on lately and lot of decisions to be made. I think we are in the final wrap up "nitty gritty details" portion of the decisions now so I can let everyone know about our life in the next few weeks. :)

Anyway, back to the post at hand. As I was rushing into the local grocery store, Hy-vee, for a really quick trip, I noticed they had Dad's rootbeer. I bought some for sentimental purposes and headed out excited about tasting my purchase. I remember as a kid I LOVED Dad's rootbeer. As I, being me, dropped the silly thing on the floor of the van, and then had to open it v-e-r-y slowly so it wouldn't fizz everywhere I thought about one of the memories tied to the rootbeer. I remember we were doing a Christmas store at one of the local retirement homes so that the elderly people living there could buy Christmas presents without having to leave and we earned money for Lottie Moon (or maybe it was Annie Armstrong...I'm pretty sure Lottie Moon was Christmas though) missions. Anyway, we were there long enough that the kids got bored and went exploring and we found a pop machine with Dad's rootbeer and bought some. Sorry for the nostalgia. Back to yesterday...as I finallly got the bottle open I took a good swig of it and just tasted it. It was sweet and I realized that I would stick with Mug's, but, hey, I'll keep the bottle for sentimentality of my childhood. :) After taking a few more drinks, I started thinking about other childhood memories that had to do with food. Here are the list of the things that I came up with that mean something to me from my childhood.

~Pink Cottage Cheese~My aunt would bring this dish to all holiday meals.
~Grandma's Rolls~Another holiday staple...still is.
~Mom's Mashed Potatoes~While we're on the holiday trip, here's my absolute favorite!
~Miracle Whip Sandwiches~Mmm...yummy. These were also my craving while I was pregnant with Grace.
~Cottage Cheese and Applesauce~I still won't eat applesauce without cottage cheese with it.
~Cottage Cheese and Tomatoes~Another good combination, although I like the applesauce better.
~Chipped Chop Ham Sandwiches~I don't know how often we did this, but for some reason it sticks out in my mind that we used to get together with my cousin's, who lived four houses down from us, after church on Sunday nights and eat these.
~Cake with Milk Poured Over It~This one came from my dad and I very rarely do it anymore, but when I get the hankering...I just gotta have it.
~Tuna Casserole~Stephanie and my LEAST favorite meal in HISTORY!!!
~Tacos and Taco Pizza~Still my favorite!
~Curry Stew~The meal Mari taught grandma to make.

Those are the things that stick out most in my mind. I'm sure some of them you are going gross, you ate what? I think it's fun to see how food (sometimes) defines a family. Food is just part of the cloth that weaves who we are, whether we like it or not. So, tell me some of your food related memories.

No comments: