Monday, September 01, 2008

Perspectives

I remember being angry at my mom when I was in middle school. Why? She was on edge about me hanging out with a girl who was older than me. She said that I became a different person when I was around her. I, of course, rolled my eyes and told her to "get real". How uncool my parents were in my younger years. Fast forward fifteen years. Now I'm the mom, now it's my daughter who is hanging out with a girl who is 4 1/2 years older than her. Now, all the fears that flooded my mom with her baby, are flooding me. It's not that the girl is a bad influence on my daughter, it's just that she's almost eight. They have the television (not against television AT ALL) on a lot and it's usually on Disney (not against Disney) with shows that are geared to, well, older children and pre-teens. I guess it all boils down to...I don't have sole influence over my daughter anymore. I had to let go a little when she started pre-school, now I'm having to let go a little more.

I read an awesome blog post by my friend, Deanna, the other day. What made it so awesome? What Aaron's daddy said to him as he ran down the hall of his brand new school. I read that line about being salt and light and my heart just froze. Am I doing all that I can to help my daughter be salt and light? Am I doing a good enough job myself? I want to grow in my Saviour so that I can show my children the way. I don't want to grow and then stop. I want to grow and show someone else the way. At the moment, that someone else would be my daughter who is like a young sapling. She is still pliable and is going to bend toward whatever light is available for her. What are the things I'm lighting up for her? I hope that I am reflecting God's light so she will grow towards Him. I never realized how much of an undertaking I was picking up when I had such a beautiful little girl. I knew I loved God and I knew I was going to love my child, but I want more than anything for those two loves to reach each other and embrace.

I want to be able to instill in my daughter the character traits of God so that she will be the salt and light to her friends, now and in the future, whatever their age. I want to not have to worry that she is being incluenced in the basics of her faith, that she is strong in her foundation. I pray that God will help me as I teach my daughter His ways.

Dear Lord, I give you my Libby. I give you my Grace. I pray that you teach me in your ways so that I can teach these precious children that you have loaned me in your ways also. Oh, Lord, I pray that I trust you enough to plant the seeds and let you do the growing. Amen.

1 comment:

Deanna said...

Hi Liza. Glad that you appreciated that blog post.... it was a big day for us, transitioning to this new stage!