Tuesday, October 21, 2008

What is Sin?

I was very sad the other day as Libby and I were doing her daily devotions. I have been quite out of sorts for the past month (thus the reason I haven't been blogging) and haven't been good about sticking with my devotions, let alone Libby's. This past week I have been feeling better and starting to fall back into my normal routine. Well, Libby's devotions were on sin and how it hurts God when we sin and it separates us from Him so we need to say we are sorry. It goes into how Jesus is the only bridge between us and God and that we need Him in our lives to forgive us of our sins. As we started talking about disobeying God, Libby told me that she had disobeyed God. I asked her how and she told me that she had wet her pants. I just about cried as the whole "wetting her pants" thing has already led her to try to hide her undies from us and lie to us about it. Chalk it up to parental inexperience, but this is a PRIME example of making too big a deal out of something STUPID! Wetting your pants is a sin? I explained to her that wetting your pants is NOT a sin, but trying to hide the wet pants from mommy and daddy IS a sin and so is lying about it. I don't think it is sinking in right now, but hopefully mommy ad daddy will learn from their mistake.

On the same subject, we had the radio on last night and a line in this song was talking about not crying, but going to Jesus with our problems and Libby asked why it said not to cry. I told her that the song said that we should go to Jesus and she asked if she could go to Jesus with me. Now, I am not naive. I KNOW she is not ready to make that commitment yet, she doesn't have all of the foundation and understanding to make that commitment. BUT...it was an awesome, God given, lead-in to some foundational knowledge. We talked how great it would be to go to Jesus and how we have to let Him have control of our lives and how much He loves us and wants us to offer ourselves to Him. It was an awesome conversation with my three year old. I was very excited about it!

3 comments:

Deanna said...

Hi Liza. I always LOVE those conversations with kids.... when you can see and hear that lightbulb coming on for them!!! So, so cool!!!

Just a little food for thought on the children and salvation issue.... I once heard a professor at Taylor say (this wasn't the full conversation, rather a part....) "Salvation is committing all that you know of yourself to all that you know of God." When Aaron initiated a conversation after reading a Bible story when he was three and told me that he wanted Jesus to be his "forever friend", I didn't say that he couldn't yet... he did, indeed, commit all that he knew of himself to all that he knew of God. Has that continued to grow and develop as his knowledge of God AND of himself has grown and developed? Of course.... yet, I still believe that was a pivotal moment in his little life.

mama2dibs said...

Very cool perspective on the situation. Thank you!

Alexis Jacobs said...

What an amazing conversation. ((hugs))