Monday, May 19, 2008

Potty Training

Libby has been really amazing with this potty thing. She truly trained herself after Grace was born. We did a few things with m&m's and she was done. Awesome! That is, until a little over a month ago. All of the sudden she started missing the potty...almost every time she went to the potty. So frustrating. I was NOT going to start treating her again when I knew that she knew how to do it, so, I tried negatives to encourage her to do it the right way. I even tried making her wear a diaper again (which she absolutely HATED)! This worked for one day at a time, but then she was right back to it. Finally, I decided that I needed to go ahead and figure out a treat system again. So, I made a treasure map with five days on it. For every day she goes in the potty and is mess free, she gets a sticker. After five days, we go to McDonald's. That was great for the first five days...not ONE accident...period. Ok, we aren't going to McD's every five days, now what was I going to do? Ah ha! Light bulb went on, now she has to go through the map TWICE to go to McD's, and next time it will be three times, then four. We'll just keep moving that number up until she is going a-ok again and won't actually need the map. So far, it's worked like a charm! Maybe I should take that as a lesson and go ahead and try the positive method of discipline in the first place next time. Ya think? I still have so much to learn about parenting. :)





Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Deanna said...

Great idea, Liza! Such a terrific tool for visual kids! I'll have to tuck this idea away in my parenting toolbelt for the next round of potty training at our house! :)

Anonymous said...

That is such a cute chart!

Unknown said...

Funny how we are embarking on the same journey right now as mommies! Everyone seems to find things that work for them. I think you're idea is one of the most clever ones! Hope she continues to do well at this! Keep us updated!

We made it 4 days on the potty with no accidents! SUCH a nice feeling it is!

Jen&Carter said...

Good girl,way to go Libby. Good idea mommy.

Alexis Jacobs said...

WTG Libby! We had a similar (but not as cute) chart with Sami. Libby is almost there!