Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Camp Bee A Friend

Day One ~ Rough Start

We have a quaint little campground about 2 miles (if that) from our house called Albrecht Acres.  They deal solely with special needs individuals and make sure to have plenty of activities for them.  Two weeks of the year, they do a camp for typical learning children AND children on the spectrum.  It is a great way to make the typical learning children aware of their special friends and help them to know that different does NOT equal bad.

I wanted Libby and Grace to be able to attend this year, but didn't think we were going to be able to make that happen.  At the very last minute, we were able to squeeze in, as long as mommy helped out for part of the day.  :)  I have to admit, it has been so long since I have done anything outside of the house for a certain length of time that it was almost a daunting thought.  That being said, I knew it would be WELL worth it in the end.  So, we signed up and got ready to trot off down the road the next morning!

Monday morning arrived and I jumped out of bed bright and early to get things rolling.  After a shower, it was time to get the girls up.  They, for some reason, were not as excited as I was.  They dragged their toes through breakfast and even asked if they had to do this "every day."  I told them it would be worth it in the end, but they couldn't catch the vision quite yet.  I ended up dragging them down the road, instead of the three of us trotting off.

By the end of the day, I think they would admit that they had an "ok" time, although they were still both tired and grouchy.  I told them that maybe we should make their bed time a little earlier for the night.  That just might help!  They were worn out enough that when I tucked them in at 8:30...not a single child fought me! 

No comments: