Friday, August 10, 2012

Confessions of a Tree Killer

Do you know any tree huggers?  I sure do!  Now, before you get upset, let me explain that I am not calling names here.  For me, that is a term of endearment for my friends that just happen to be...a little more green than me.

I have to confess, I am not that "green" person.  I don't do a great job with recycling, I use paper plates, and paper towels and I use disposable diapers.  I am trying to garden this year, though!  :D  That being said, my worst offense would have to be ALL the paper I use!

You see, if I don't write it down, it doesn't end up happening.  So, I have to write a list of everything that needs done in a day.  That means writing down "school" and "lunch" and all of those things you do every day as well as the things that are only one time things.  Will we eat if I don't write lunch down? Probably, but it might be something like a handful of grapes and a swiss roll.  If I write it down, I will actually think through lunch and my children get a more balanced meal.

After I write my initial list, then I have to prioritize.  Is there anything that needs done before a certain time?  What is more important...reading to John or scrubbing the toilet?  Is there anything that needs to be done FOR SOMEONE ELSE?  You know, those questions that need answered.  Therefore, I write it down again.  (Seriously, the repetition is good for my brain.)

I have a separate piece of paper to write down thoughts that come to my head throughout the day.  You know, the thoughts like, "Oh, I want to remember to check out that documentary on schools...Superman something."  If I don't write the thought down I either obsess over it until I do something about it, in the process derailing my entire day (not exaggerating!) or I forget about and spend the rest of my day trying to remember what I forgot.

The key to making this system work for me is that I need to remember WHERE I placed my little slips of paper (you know the slips of paper with MY MIND on them).  As long as I can keep track of my little brains, well...then at least I killed a tree for a good reason.  Right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Boy are we related!!! Lol